- Heather Haley, friend and neighbour, extends a conversation some of us were having on west coast music. Nice stories about the west coast punk scene of the 1980s and later.
- Another friend and neighbour, John Dowler: a photography site with questions.
- From Common Dreams, 12 things from the last decade that could save us
- Metafilter post on the ironically inimitable Harry Dubin.
- Franke James draws Canada’s problems with greenhouse gases. (via facebook friend Amy Robinson)
- Frozen Silence, a new age/ambient project from Finland’s Matti Paalanen. Piano and guitar music for winter mornings.
- Tim Hart singing the Ploughboy and the Cockney, an old English song about the conflict between the city and the country, and one which is in my repertoire because of its modern implications. Hart died last week at his home in the Canary islands. And here’s Hart singing another song with contemporary implications: The Dalesman’s Litany.
- And one more, this time from Tim Hart’s long time musical partner, Maddy Prior singing with her long time musical partner June Tabor: Four Loom Weaver.
- Another musician who died this week was Lhasa de Sela, taken by breast cancer. Here is Rising.
- Podcast of the week: A feature on Sue Townsend (Adrian Mole author) and her thoughts on going blind. Compelling listening from CBC’s And the Winner Is…